Sunday, February 13, 2011

Busy yet fun!

Monday started very Bland since Jeana skipped out on Formosa Monday, but Tuesday was a blast I went over to my sister in laws for desert Tuesday and we made Creme Bu lee, which I have never made before but was very delicious, after desert we took Kin to her tumbling class, I was quite impressed on how well she is doing with her cartwheels. Wednesday was pay day which of course meant time to get Groceries, so me and the girl crew headed off to Lee's for our shopping spree, Madi and Kinley each got their own little baskets, what a miracle we got a two page shopping list done in hour and the girls didn't break anything with their carts. Thursday was a blur and Friday was our fun day we dropped kin off at preschool and took madi to her Parent tot tumbling class, Madi is doing amazing she is making so many new friends and she is trying really hard with learning her tumbling skills. Later I went to Kins Preschool and watched her sing in her Valentines program, we also played Bingo, made bracelets, and decorated cookies. I loved watching Kinley sing and the best part was you actually could hear her, she also did some wiggly dance moves while singing it was so so cute. On Saturday Thomas's Tumbling team performed at the USU half time show, Me and Clara went while the other two enjoyed some Parents night out time and time with their Nanna. 
On Saturday Thomas also took me to Home Depot and we picked up some seed starting soil and a jiffy seed starting kit. So yesterday I had a total of  16 tomatoes, 12 Bell peppers, 10 jalapeƱo peppers, and 3 trays of onions. 
Onions are quite easy to start and when they start growing long enough were they start to droop you can cut them down to about 3 in. and use the tops to cook with. There are 3 different ways you can start onions, Sets which are a year old onion about the size of a pearl, these often bolt (When an onion bolts they flower, the quality and taste of the onion go down hill, use onion a soon as possible if this happens). The second way  is starting the seeds in flats about 8-10 weeks before last frost in doors, then transplanting them outdoors about 4 weeks before the last frost. The last way is to direct seed in which you will plant directly into the ground when the soil reaches about 50 degrees, Plant about 3-4 in apart.
 Madi after tumbling class
                                                  Day 2 of  onion, peppers and tomatoes
Girls after we just ate cake for Thomas's Birthday
I have done sets and started oinions indoors, I did not like the sets because they  bolted quickly and my onion starts did quite well I think I need to put them in a sunnier location. The plan this year is I'm going to start some indoors then transplant and the other half I will start by direct seeding. 

4 comments:

  1. If you thinking about starting some seeds you might want to wait another week or two, I started mine a couple weeks earlier due to my house being cooler and drafty and thus my seeds take longer to germinate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me so excited about spring coming and fresh garden vegetables this summer! The sunny, warm weather is making me want summer to be here now!! Keep updating on how the plants do with germination. I'm sure the sunshine will help, along with your growlights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! It is that season... BTW, I like your quote at the top about dancing in the rain. I think I need to do that more. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hhhhhmmmmmm sorry I ditched out ha ha! parent tot is the best:) Madi & harlyn rock:) I need the snow to melt so I can come plant seeds with you

    ReplyDelete